If you can get up early in the morning there are 2 different types of 'roti canai' that you may try out in Johor that should not be available in other states. 'Roti canai' is a flat piece of fried dough that is served with different types of curries depending on your mood. One is located near the new Complex Immigration and Quarantine building near Kim Teng Park. This version is very thick and extra crispy and the chili paste that comes with it is to die for. It is advisable to ask for directions first as it is only accessible by car. The other 'roti canai' is located at Century Garden near the Honda showroom in front of the MAA building. These are tiny, light and fluffy versions of the original 'roti canai' and it comes with a small bowl of savory sardine-mixture to go with it. Both are reasonably priced and you should not miss it.
* Banafe Cafe.located opposite New York Hotel.Popular menu nasi ayam penyek.
* Restoran ZZ. 20 Jalan Sungei Chat (off Jalan Mahmoodiah, behind Sultanah Aminah Hospital), tel. +60-7224-0417. Popular low-key Malay eatery with a daily-changing buffet, particularly known for their Johor-style laksa and ikan bakar (grilled fish), two can eat until stuffed for RM10. Open daily for breakfast and lunch only. Located a fair distance from the center, so take a taxi.
* Taman Pelangi Satay. One of the Malay hawkers at the small hawker center opposite the Pelangi Mosque, nearby the Caltex Petro kiosk and a bit away from the Pelangi Leisure Mall. You'll get a stick for RM0.50, peanut sauce and cucumbers are included. There's also a good stall for Claypot chicken rice for RM5.80.
* Kolam Air Laksa, Jalan Kolam Air (same road as Hyatt). In fact, there is one even far more better than KOLAM AIR LAKSA called Restoran Yew Swee. Located at Century Garden, next to Jalan Tebrau, opposite the empty field in which is next to Plaza Pelangi.
* Mee Rebus Stulang Laut, Stulang Laut. The original mee rebus is located at the now Open University facing the straits. It has an alfresco type dining as well.
* Nasi Lemak Senibong Located in Kampung Senibong, it has been serving one of the best Nasi Lemak in Johor Bahru. Costing RM4 per plate, it costs of coconut flavoured rice, chicken (comes in three flavours), an egg and sambal (traditional malay chili sauce).
* Restoran Singgah Selalu Located at Jalan Kolam Air and right across the Skudai Highway (Jalan Skudai) from the unmistakable red and white, multi-storey Tune Hotel in Danga Bay. It has quite a fair bit of food selections on its menu. Open 24 hrs.
* Warisan Anjung Seri A popular joint for the local. More well known for its concept of tree top dining experience. There is even a nightly angklung performance. Must book in advance to get a sitting on top of a tree.
Dann's Cafe at Taman Daya. A popular place for good Johor Laksa, Hyderabad Beryani Rice, Mee Siam Kuah, they also serve wacky mock tails. Ask for what special there and a guarantee of a good time.
There is plenty of accommodation in JB, just look for signs that say Hotel, Chalets, Budget Accommodations or Rumah Tumpangan. The cost of a room in a budget hotel in the city center starts from around RM50 per room per night. In general, the budget hotels outside the city center are cheaper. However, you will not find any of the backpacker hostels that are commonly found in Melaka, Kuala Lumpur and Georgetown. There are currently eleven hotels clustered around Jalan Meldrum - this street runs parallel between Jalan Tun Abdul Razak and Jalan Wong Ah Fook between the police station (it is a white building with blue columns) and City Square. All of them [Dragon Inn (formerly known as Top Hotel), Gateway, Grand Paradise (formerly known as Causeway Inn), Hanyasatu (formerly known as Fortuna Hotel), Hawaii, Hong Kong, JB, Meldrum, A Vista Melati], except for the high-rise J.A. Residence Hotel (formerly known as Compact Hotel) and the Central Hotel (inside Merlin Tower), have rooms that cost less than 100RM per double room per night.
* A' Vista Melati Hotel, No. 16, Jalan Station, ☎ +607 2222 888 (fax: +607 2216 412), . Centrally located 119-room 2-star hotel. Karaoke, spa, business center, conference room. No wifi. RM125. Cheapest doubles rooms cost RM49/69++ (without aircon/with aircon, soap 1 RM extra, towel 1 RM extra, TV 7 RM extra) (As of March 2009 this hotel is quite dirty with stained carpets, bad smells, and dirty room toilets).
* Meldrum Hotel, at the junction of Jalan Siu Nam & Jalan Meldrum, tel 607-227-8988. Single room 66 RM net, double room 77/88/99 RM net, triple room 143 RM net, quadruple room 176 RM net. All private rooms with attached shower/toilet and TV. After the closure of the Footloose Homestay, this is currently the only hotel in downtown JB with a dorm (8 double-decked beds, 37 RM net per night).
* Footloose Homestay, (4H JL Ismail ) Telephone Hakimi (07-2242881) basic rate is 15 RM for dorm. Room 20 - 25 RM. [NOW CLOSED!]
* Hong Kong Hotel , 31A Jalan Meldrum (opposite Merlin Tower), 2246407, offers the cheapest double rooms in the Jalan Meldrum area, starting from 48 RM net per night per double room. All 22 rooms with air-con, attached bath/shower and toilet, but no TV. You have to climb a flight of stairs to reach the reception.
* Le Tian Hotel , 2A-D Jalan Siu Nam 07-2248151, 66RM per night per double room. All rooms have attached bathrooms, air-con and TV.
* Green Homestay, Jalan Dedap 26, Taman Johor Jaya, Johor Near Daiman Bowl Taman Johor Jaya+016-2565521 rm9 per person dorm
* Hotel Kelana, Jalan Skudai, +60-7556-2050 . One of the popular budget hotels near the Malaysian University of Technology (UTM). Rooms start from RM 45, with hot water shower, AC and in-room TV. Some 15km from the Johor Bahru city center but stage buses to the city are aplenty.
* Hotel Seri Malaysia, Jalan Langkasuka, Larkin, +60-7221-1002, a few hundred metres from the Larkin bus terminal; RM130, wifi in some rooms and lobby free
* Indah Inn, 47 Jalan Titiwangsa 2, Taman Tampoi Indah, 81200 Johor Bahru +60-7-241-1133. Located nearby KIP Mart. Room rates - RM70 w/o window, RM80 with window, no surcharge applied on weekends/public holidays. Room with hot water shower, Air Con, TV and free wifi (a little slow). Quite cosy and clean place, definitely worth it's price. Nearby indian and chinese rest for only 4-6 RM.
* Aspen Summer Hotel, Taman Molek, Johor Bahru+60-7351-8161. A nice budget hotel at Taman Molek with lots of banks, restaurants, shopping centers, and golf courses nearby.
* OKID Hotel Johor Bahru, 2 locations, Permas Jaya and Johor Jaya, reservation : +60-7-3882228. Three-Orchid budget hotel, Clean rooms, 7 km from Causeway. Wi-Fi available. Mega shopping mall nearby, online instant reservation, airport transfer upon request. 70 RM per night per double room.
* Grand Dragon Hotel Located in Permas Jaya, 15 minute from johor bahru city center. Tel: +60-7-3882323. Clean Rooms with different styles.
* Tropical Inn, Jalan Gereja, Johor Bahru +60-7224-7888 Rooms start discounted at RM 130++. High-tea buffet 12-4 pm Sat-Sun 22 RM net for adults, 16 RM for children under 12; it is only 300m north of the Kotaraya II bus terminal and next to the twin tower Landmark shopping centre.
* Naza Talyya Hotel. Nice boutique hotel with clean, large rooms, nice beds, TV. It is just behind the much bigger Grand Blue Wave Hotel.
* Crystal Crown Hotel, Harimau Tarum, tel. +60-7333-4422. It has pretty decent largish rooms. Rates are available from RM115 upwards depending on promotions. It has a pretty centralised location.
* Hotel Selesa Pasir Gudang, Jalan Bandar 81700 Pasir Gudang, Johor Darul Takzim, tel. +603 2715 0343 . A four-star business hotel in Pasir Gudang, near the Pasir Gudang Industrial Area. 185 rooms, business services, conference halls, and recreational facilities.
* New York Hotel, Jalan Dato' Abdullah Tahir, tel. +60-7331-1588. One of the relatively- newer hotels in Johor Bahru, located conveniently away from the bustling city yet still within commercial area limits. A favorite among organizations for official functions and events for its location, facilities and service. A business-class hotel ideal for those who opt for tranquil surroundings without being too far from the city. Walking distance from major banks and Plaza Pelangi. Single room - RM160 including breakfast, wifi - RM20 a day or RM8 for an hour. Palm Garden restaurant on the first level serves weekend high-tea buffet (12-4 pm) 25 RM net for adults, weekday buffet lunch (12-2.30pm) 30 RM net for adults, daily buffet dinner 38 RM net for adults, daily buffet breakfast 23 RM net for adults
* Suria City Hotel Johor Bahru, Three-star deluxe and family rooms, suites, and apartments 2 km from Causeway. Wi-Fi, outdoor pool, function rooms, and convenient services available. Room rates start from 118RM. Weekend buffet lunch (1-2 pm) 30RM net
* Dorsett Johor Hotel, ☎ +607 360 1000, . Dorsett Johor Hotel is located in between Johor Bahru City Centre and Eastern Gate Development Zone of Iskandar Malaysia. It is just 10 minutes to the North-South Highway, less than 20 minutes to Johor Bahru City Centre, a 2 minute drive to Giant Hypermarket Plentong, and with very close proximity to Sultan Ismail International Airport. The hotel offers 252 airconditioned rooms. Lot 101375, Jalan Masai Lama, Mukim Plentong, Johor Bahru, Johor 81750, Malaysia.) Room rate starts at RM 150.00 ++.